Research and public awareness about Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) is growing significantly in recent years. Since the identification of fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) over 35 years ago, mounting evidence about the impact of maternal alcohol consumption during pregnancy has prompted increased attention to the link between prenatal alcohol exposure (PAE) and a constellation of developmental disabilities that are characterized by physical, cognitive and behavioral impairments.
In Central Indiana, CINOFAS is building a more comprehensive resource database of articles, research, training and other information. This directory also contains contact information for FASD-friendly professionals and programs such as diagnostic clinics, therapists and support groups.
Having said that, local support groups for those affected by and living with FASD are limited in Indiana. If you’re aware of local resources and would like to have those added to our database, please contact us and let us know.
If you’re interested in starting something in your area, one relatively easy forum to start with is meetup.com, a national directory of thousands of interest groups.
In the meantime, we’ve pulled together this list of existing on-line FASD support groups.
- Circle of Hope, a network of women, who have used alcohol during pregnancy and have or may have children with FASD. https://www.nofas.org/circleofhope/
- FASlink, a free Internet mail list for individuals, families and professionals who deal with FASD. http://www.faslink.org
- FAS forum, a group for professionals and families living and working with individuals who were prenatally exposed to alcohol. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/FASForum
- FASD Birth Parents Mail List, a group for birth parents of persons with FASD. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FASDBirthparents
- FAS Support Network Message Board, an on-line forum for parents and caregivers to discuss FAS. http://www.fetalalcohol.com/bb/signup.asp
- FASonline, an on-line FASD support, including state specific forums. http://www.come-over.to/FAS/fasonline.htm
- International FAS Meet up, an on-line resource that connects parents and caregivers to other people dealing with FAS in their local area. http://fas.meetup.com
- Worldwide FAS Meet up Message Board, an on-line forum for parents and caregivers to discuss FAS. http://fas.meetup.com/boards